Monday, March 17, 2008

He Yet Speaks!


I tried being interested in everything zipping past my window view from the speeding car. My vision however was through tear smudged lens. My mind was in a spin, searching for a logical explanation fruitlessly.

I just thought, “well, uh, well, it must be because eh…” I gave up! Every attempted explanation sounded hollower than the previous.

His words like a harmless insect stung painfully. The tone they came in was normal but it in no way diminished the impact. My lips parted to give a reply but silence remained intact.

Something about the human spirit being able to pick up things unsaid. He must have sensed my unspoken reaction because as the silence created deepened he reached out his hand to the music player to fill it with music.

A series of familiar Gospel tracks sucked up the charge in the air. Yet, I didn’t listen. I only heard them as from a distance. Track followed track until one for no discernible reason pulled back my spirit.
The singer sang the words in a very sober tone. Almost melancholic: It caught my attention. It was just a match to my state of mind.

The lyrics spoke to disappointed hearts. It told them not to be surprised when they are let down by not just anyone but people who are supposed to be on the same side as them. It told them that even the Heavens and the Earth will fail.
Whoever gets anxious about whether the sun will rise or fall or that the seasons will change. These are nature’s constants but they will fail sometime except for one. The changeless one: Jesus.

Here I was wrestling with hurt feelings from a brother’s remark. Surely, I felt let down and my inside was bleeding.

All this as we drove to Sonday school. I guess we were already learning a Sonday school lesson an hour early. Life!

PS:
The eye opening song was sung by brother Korley. I think (not sure) he titled it “Jesus Never Fails”

No comments: