Monday, September 24, 2007

A wedding and An Unexpected Gift


Bro. Korley above is a household name amongst believers of the endtime message. Where in the past we had to rely on the internet or brethren living overseas to help us get message songs in audio tapes or CD's now we can have those songs from closer home and in an accent similar to ours because of this gift of God to us.

On the 22nd of September, Ibadan Road got busy as it saw hordes of message believers driving to the venue of Bro. Tokunboh and Sis. Chinwe’s wedding. It was a massive crowd but the couple was well prepared: judging from the huge air conditioned hall to the skilful and colorful interior décor, especially the neon light hanging on the wall.

Bro. Korley (R) and Bro. Michael(L)

There was beauty everywhere to please the eyes, food and drinks for the palate and then unexpectedly a specialty for the ears!

I am in preparation for a wedding myself, so naturally, my mind was more than passively observing, it was soaking up tidbits of info on how to set up a wedding venue.

It was somewhere in between when my eyes,swiveling in it's socket at every angle like a closed circuit camera, remarking to my fiancée about this and that and making little “to do” notes that the singer’s voice broke into my attention. After a hard work rummaging in my memory I suddenly fished out the identity of the golden voice.I made a remark to my fiancée that it was ingenious for someone to think of playing Bro. Korley's CD here knowing his unmatched reputation for provoking a sing along session. But something didn't quite add up: it was the fact that the tracks being sung were not those in his released CD. So this couldn't have been a recording at play! But it was unmistakably his voice. A plausible explanation would be that a clever imitation was going on. Not satisfied with my mental explanation, I decided to do a little investigation; after all, there was a little lull now and then in between the items on the programme, so my movement would be of no consequence.

From the next table, we asked and got confirmation that we were hearing no imitation but the real deal. The programme writer had done his fans an injustice by simply referring to his slot as "special number by an INVITED ARTIST". Perhaps it was a deliberate act meant to keep attention on the couple.

The man himself was doing what he does best: strumming feverishly on his guitar and singing classic songs of Zion.The picture was of him singing into a microphone held up by a stand, a guitar hanging from his neck and sweat rolling off his face like little rocks down a mountain. The air somehow became charged. When he paused to allow the master of ceremony address the sitting crowd, it seemed like time had run in record speed like an Olympic athlete.

Glancing toward the platform, I saw a small crowd of people who had figured out earlier what I had just figured out . They all wanted an image of the man so they pointed Camera devices at him. White Light kept flashing off like lightening before rain and the man being self conscious wore a smile that stretched his facial skin like slackened rubber. It was simply awesome to behold!The light in his soul was shining full strength in his eyes. Those eyes spoke humility.

In no time, I had found me a space and froze some of his images in the icebox of my camera. My hands were very unsteady at first as I fumbled my way to the camera feature of my phone. My mind seemed to be screaming to me to grab a slice of history but my limb was as unco-ordinated as a mind tearing off the cobweb of sleep.

The lighting in the hall wasn't too good cos they let the place be semi dark to heighten the effect of the blinking bulbs. So my images weren't of the highest
quality.


But by God's grace I got another chance when the ceremony was ended and he was out of the hall.

(L-R)Pastor Niyi, Sis. Frances(My fiancee'), Bro. Korley, Me and Sis.Morenike

The brother couldn't walk two steps without encountering a forest of hands wanting to make contact. Imagine being in a place where everybody knew you but you had no idea who anyone was but for a few people.

Fresh in our mind is the story a missionary brought us of when he went to see off a group of visiting Canadian brethren and in a flash of inspiration he started plucking at his guitar and singing a farewell song. It was reported that the departure hall of the Airport went hush and movements were stilled as a crowd formed around him. When he was done singing, not many could hold back tears.
Such is the gift of this man. And here he was here, Live!

BFT online would be hard pressed to find reasons not to make a story out of it all.
I convinced him to do a photo session with me and my company by telling him that he couldn't deny his fans a chance to pose with him. He seemed to see reason in that cos he managed to drag his tired frame out of the car he was in into the vengeful afternoon sun and once again switched on his trademark smile.

(L-R)Pastor Niyi, Sis.Frances,Bro.Korley, Bro.Femi and Sis.Morenike

Hey, as soon I was focusing the camera to snap, people started edging in from left, right and center.

(L-R)Bro.Paul,Sis. Toyin,Bro. Sola, Bro.Korley, A minister,Sis.Morenike,Bro.From Benin

It was awesome! Everybody wanted to identify with this gift!


(L-R) Sis.Toyin, Sis.Folake, Pastor Niyi, Sis.Frances, Bro.Korley, Bro.Femi, Sis. Morenike,Pastor's Wife and Sis.Tolu
Bro. Korley didn't come alone. There was also his back up singer, Brother Michael and another brother whom I was unable to make contact with. The larger than life image trailing this gifted Ghanaian musical star somehow overshadowed them both.
Imagine if the gift can be as intoxicating how much more the Giver. The Great Jehovah!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello. I am a believer of the message of Brother Branham and love Brother Korley's songs as well. Can you upload some of them online so we can download. thanks