Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Steven Adelodun: Spared from being labeled dead




At Oshodi, that Friday morning, the rowdiness showed no sign of abating. It was hustle and bustle everywhere. I was to go for an entrance examination coming the day after, 2nd September at Ife, Osun state. I had been told to go to Ojota to board a straight bus straight to Ife but somehow, I found myself at Oshodi, probably “a slip of the leg” which God had a hand in as would later be seen in this piece.
When I got to Oshodi, I boarded a bus heading to Ibadan with the hope of catching another one going to Ife, in a bid to cut cost. This Ibadan bus was a new one with a tasteful interior and spic and span exterior. Any thoughts or fears about a mishap would have been dispelled at the sight of the bus. I was the third passenger and I sat in front beside the driver. Three persons boarded at once, then came a Voice from within. It said, “Get down from this bus. Are you ready to die?” I answered, “ I might not be ready to die but I am not afraid”. The Voice said, “This isn’t a case of being afraid but of being obedient!”
I kept on struggling with the Voice but thankfully. It prevailed. Just before the last person boarded, I alighted and boarded another one going straight to Ife at a fair price, comparatively.
Fortunately, I was the last person to board. The Ibadan bound bus had left before we did and I was still wondering why I alighted from that “dream” bus when a thought flashed across my mind: “All things work together for good to them that love God, to them that God loves”
And how true that turned out. Just before we got to Ibadan, I saw the most horrifying sight. The dream bus was wrecked on the highway with bloodstains and broken limbs just around it.
It is doubtful that anyone could have survived the accident. I remember seeing the FRSC officials moving corpses to their waiting van.
There is nothing that can happen to a Christian if God hasn’t finished with him. God is real, He still speaks, but we do not always listen O God, I am so thankful!

No comments: